Lafayette Spine Injury Attorneys
Compassionate & Aggressive Legal Representation
Spine injuries are some of the most devastating injuries a person can suffer. The spinal cord is responsible for transmitting messages from the brain to the rest of the body. When the spinal cord is damaged, the victim may lose the ability to move or feel certain parts of their body. In severe cases, a spine injury can result in paralysis.
At Hovde Dassow + Deets, our Lafayette spine injury lawyers understand the immense physical, emotional, and financial toll these injuries can have on victims and their families. If you or someone you love suffered a spine injury due to someone else’s negligence, we can help you fight for the justice and fair recovery you are owed.
Types of Spine Injuries
Spine injuries can be classified as either complete or incomplete. A complete spine injury is one in which the victim loses all feeling and movement below the site of the injury. An incomplete spine injury is one in which the victim retains some feeling and movement below the site of the injury.
There are two main types of spine injuries: paraplegia and quadriplegia.
- Paraplegia: Paraplegia is a type of spine injury that affects the lower half of the body. Victims of paraplegia may lose the ability to move or feel their legs, hips, and lower torso. In some cases, paraplegia can also affect the victim’s sexual function and bowel and bladder control.
- Quadriplegia: Quadriplegia is a type of spine injury that affects the entire body. Victims of quadriplegia may lose the ability to move or feel their legs, hips, torso, arms, and hands. In some cases, quadriplegia can also affect the victim’s sexual function and bowel and bladder control. In the most severe cases, quadriplegia can also affect the victim’s ability to breathe on their own.
Spine injuries can also be classified as either traumatic or non-traumatic. Traumatic spine injuries are caused by a sudden blow or impact to the spine. Non-traumatic spine injuries are caused by a disease or condition that affects the spine, such as cancer, arthritis, or a herniated disc.
Some of the most common causes of spine injuries include:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Acts of violence
How Our Firm Can Help
At Hovde Dassow + Deets, we understand the immense physical, emotional, and financial toll a spine injury can have on victims and their families. If you or someone you love suffered a spine injury due to someone else’s negligence, we can help you fight for the justice and fair recovery you are owed.
When you choose to work with our firm, you can expect:
- Compassionate, personalized legal guidance: We understand that every case is unique, which is why we take the time to listen to your story, understand your goals, and help you explore your legal options. We are available to answer your questions and address your concerns throughout the entire process.
- Aggressive advocacy: Our team is not afraid to take on large corporations, insurance companies, and other powerful entities. We are skilled litigators who are not afraid to take a case to trial if it is in the best interests of our clients.
- Proven results: We have a long track record of success, having recovered millions of dollars for our clients. While we cannot guarantee a specific outcome in your case, we can guarantee that we will fight tirelessly for you every step of the way.
Recovering Damages for a Spine Injury
Spine injuries can result in significant medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages. If you suffered a spine injury due to someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for your economic and non-economic damages.
Some of the most common damages available in a spine injury claim include:
- Medical expenses, including the cost of hospital stays, surgeries, medications, and rehabilitation
- Lost wages and lost earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Disfigurement and disability
In some cases, you may also be entitled to punitive damages. Punitive damages are not meant to compensate the victim for their losses, but rather to punish the at-fault party for their egregious conduct and to deter others from engaging in similar conduct in the future.
How Long Do I Have to File a Spine Injury Lawsuit?
If you suffered a spine injury due to someone else’s negligence, you have a limited amount of time to take legal action. In Indiana, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is two years from the date of the injury. If you fail to file a lawsuit within this time frame, you will likely lose your right to recover compensation for your damages.
However, there are some exceptions to this general rule. For example, if the victim was a minor at the time of the injury, the statute of limitations may be tolled until the victim turns 18. Additionally, if the victim did not discover the injury right away, the statute of limitations may be tolled until the victim discovers the injury or reasonably should have discovered the injury.
Because the statute of limitations is so strict, it is important to consult with an experienced spine injury attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options and ensure that your claim is filed in a timely manner.
Can I Afford an Attorney?
At Hovde Dassow + Deets, we believe that everyone deserves access to quality legal representation, regardless of their financial situation. That is why we offer our services on a contingency fee basis. This means that you do not owe any upfront or out-of-pocket costs and you only pay attorney fees if we recover compensation for you.
Get Started on Your Case Today
If you or someone you love suffered a spine injury due to someone else’s negligence, we can help you fight for the justice and fair recovery you are owed. Our Lafayette spine injury attorneys have the skills, resources, and experience to effectively represent you in settlement negotiations and in the courtroom.
Words can not express how exceptional Rick Hovde and Kelly Faulk are in the Field of Medical Malpractice- Bob D
You can tell we're just not a client but a family that they care about.- Steve H.
The best thing about working with Hovde Dassow + Deets was Nick's professionalism & knowledge.- Sarah S.
Our family very much appreciates the services we received from Nick Deets & his staff.- Teresa S.
Very professional, honest, upfront all throughout the case.- John H.