Over 150 Years of Combined Legal Experience On Your Side
If you or a loved one has sustained a personal injury due to someone else’s negligence, you may be able to receive compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. Due to the many factors involved, personal injury cases can be very complex. We recommend seeking professional guidance for matters related to your personal injury case before it is too late. An experienced Indianapolis personal injury lawyer can help you identify the options for compensation in your case.
Why Choose Our Personal Injury Firm?
Hovde Dassow + Deets is ranked in the highest tier of plaintiff’s personal injury litigation in Indiana and have over 150 years of combined legal experience. We provide clients with compassionate legal counsel as we aggressively fight for their fair compensation. We are positive that we can help you.
While other personal injury practices might assign your case to an associate or paralegal, we believe that you should have an attorney assigned to your case who is consistently and deeply involved in your case from beginning to end. Our Indianapolis personal injury lawyers recognize the immense significance that this case has for you which is why we strive to provide direct and personalized assistance every step of the way. We treat each injury claim with utmost gravity and commit our complete focus and effort to achieve the outcomes you require.
Personal injury law refers to civil cases in which an individual is injured or otherwise harmed due to the negligent, careless, reckless, or wrongful conduct of another. The injured individual is referred to as the “plaintiff,” and the party against whom the case is brought is the “defendant.” In personal injury cases, the defendant can be another person, or it can be a corporation, business, property owner, landlord, manufacturer, government agency, or any other entity.
To have grounds for a personal injury case, there are several things you must prove:
- First, you must prove that the defendant had an explicit or implied duty to act reasonably and prevent others from being injured. This is known as the “duty of care.”
- Next, you must prove that the defendant breached the duty of care, whether by acting negligently, wrongfully, or unlawfully.
- You will also need to prove that you were injured and/or suffered damages, whether economic or non-economic. If you were not harmed, you do not have a case.
- Lastly, you must establish that the direct or proximate cause of your injuries and/or damages was the defendant’s breach of the duty of care.
At Hovde Dassow + Deets, our Indianapolis personal injury attorneys work with an array of industry experts, including accident reconstructionists, medical professionals, and others, to investigate claims and obtain expert testimony. This is often a critical element of proving your personal injury case and has helped us achieve numerous successful results, both in and out of the courtroom.
What Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Do For You?
Accidents can happen at any time, and when they do, they often leave victims dealing with physical, emotional, and financial hardships. Whether you've been injured in a car accident, slip and fall incident, or due to medical malpractice, a personal injury lawyer can be your advocate in seeking justice and fair compensation. Here's a closer look at what an injury lawyer in Indianap can do for you:
- Assessing Your Case: The first and crucial step in any personal injury claim is assessing the viability of your case. A skilled personal injury attorney will review the details of your accident, gather evidence, and determine whether you have a valid claim. They'll consider factors such as liability, negligence, and the extent of your injuries to gauge the strength of your case.
- Legal Expertise: Personal injury law can be complex, with varying regulations and statutes that can significantly impact your case. A personal injury lawyer has the knowledge and experience to navigate this intricate legal landscape. They understand the nuances of the law and can apply them to your situation effectively.
- Investigating the Accident: To build a strong case, your attorney will conduct a thorough investigation into the accident. This may involve gathering witness statements, obtaining accident reports, analyzing medical records, and consulting with experts, such as accident reconstruction specialists or medical professionals. The goal is to establish liability and prove the extent of your injuries.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies: Dealing with insurance companies can be challenging, as their primary aim is to minimize payouts. Personal injury lawyers have experience negotiating with insurance adjusters and are skilled at advocating for your rights. They'll work to ensure you receive a fair settlement that covers your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Preparing for Litigation: In some cases, negotiations with insurance companies may not lead to a satisfactory resolution. In such instances, your personal injury lawyer can prepare your case for litigation. They will file a lawsuit, represent you in court, and argue your case before a judge and jury, if necessary.
- Maximizing Compensation: Ultimately, the primary goal of a personal injury lawyer is to help you maximize your compensation. They'll work diligently to ensure you receive the financial resources you need to cover medical bills, rehabilitation costs, lost income, and other damages resulting from the accident.
While we are unable to relieve you of the pain from your injury, we can make the right arguments and decisions to help obtain the compensation you are entitled to receive. The details of your personal injury case will help determine which type of compensation you could receive.
The common types of compensation include payment for:
- Medical treatment and rehabilitation
- Lost income and future earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Property loss or damage
- Emotional distress
Our Indianapolis injury attorneys at Hovde Dassow + Deets can meet with you one-on-one for a thorough review of your case. From there, we can provide personalized information regarding your various options, as well as the potential value of your claim and the specific compensation to which you may be entitled.
Our firm is top-rated for its careful analysis of claims and meticulous case preparation. We are ranked as one of seven Tier 1 law firms in Indiana for medical malpractice law — plaintiffs by U.S. News and World Report.Contact Us Today
Our Firm is a Tier 1 firm for personal injury litigation — plaintiffs & products liability in Indianapolis. Our ranking was determined by the evaluation of some 8,782 U.S. law firms and more than 50,000 client surveys.Read Our Reviews
Our award-winning attorneys at Hovde Dassow + Deets have provided compassionate and aggressive legal counsel for personal injury cases for more than 150 + years of collective legal experience.Read Our Victories
From catastrophic auto accidents to medical malpractice, we have the experience and the insight to secure results for any injury case — no matter how complex. Watch our videos where we answer some of our clients FAQsWatch Our Videos
When to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer in Indianapolis
Hiring a personal injury attorney is a critical decision that can deeply impact the outcome of your case, and by connection, your physical and emotional recovery. If you choose to handle your claim on your own, you may be taken advantage of by the insurance company and receive a much lower payout than you deserve.
Here are four signs that you should contact an attorney about your personal injury claim:
Your accident involved catastrophic injury/permanent disability
The at-fault party is disputing liability for your injury
You are partially responsible for the accident that caused your injury
Your accident involved multiple parties
If you are still unsure if you should hire a personal injury attorney to handle your claim, contact Hovde Dassow + Deets today. We offer a free initial consultation to all prospective clients and are happy to explain your options after an accident.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
No matter how complex or straightforward, large or small, your personal injury case is important to us. Our experienced personal injury lawyers in Indianapolis handle a wide range of cases, including but not limited to claims involving:
- ATV accidents
- Aviation accidents
- Car accidents
- Defective products
- Motorcycle accidents
- Premises liability
- Truck accidents
- Workplace injuries
- Wrongful death
We also handle complex medical malpractice cases involving birth injuries, emergency room negligence, hospital negligence, medication errors, misdiagnosis, surgical errors, and more, as well as mass torts involving widespread harm by single entities to multiple parties.
Frequently Asked Questions
Provided below are a few frequently asked questions that you may have about your personal injury case.
Can I file a personal injury claim?
If you have sustained injury after an accident, you can file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party whether they are an individual or a company.
How long do I have to file a personal injury claim?
In Indiana, you can file your injury claim up to two years after the accident occurred.
Will I have to pay for my medical bills out of pocket?
Typically, medical specialists will wait until you have reached a settlement with the at-fault party’s insurer before you have to pay. You may have to pay copay fees, but you can include those in your claim.
How much is my case worth?
Compensation varies case by case, and to identify what you may be entitled to, you will want to discuss your case with a lawyer.
How much does a personal injury lawyer cost?
Personal injury lawyers typically do not collect payment unless you obtain a settlement, so there is no risk to get started. Rather than charge an upfront fee, you only pay attorney fees if and when we secure you compensation for your injuries.
What percentage do most personal injury lawyers take?
The average contingency fee for a personal injury lawyer in Indianapolis is 33%. However, each attorney is free to charge their own rate, as long as it is considered reasonable.
Our firm is top-rated for its careful analysis of claims and meticulous case preparation. We are ranked as one of seven Tier 1 law firms in Indiana for medical malpractice law — plaintiffs by U.S. News and World Report.
Q:Do I have a personal injury case?
A:You could have a personal injury case if you were injured due to the negligent, wrongful, or unlawful conduct of another person or party. For example, if you were injured by a careless driver or slipped and fell due to unsafe conditions on someone else’s property, you could have a case. The best way to tell if you have a personal injury case is to contact an attorney. Reach out to Hovde Dassow + Deets today to set up a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.
Q:Should I hire a personal injury lawyer?
A:While there is no law requiring you to hire a personal injury attorney, there are many reasons to do so. Studies show that people who work with attorneys tend to recover higher settlements than those who try to resolve their personal injury claims on their own. A personal injury lawyer will be able to investigate your case, gather applicable evidence, work with various industry experts, communicate with the insurance company, and advocate for you in court if necessary. This allows you to focus on your physical, mental, and emotional recovery.
Q:How much does a personal injury lawyer cost?
A:Personal injury lawyers provide legal services on a contingency fee basis. This means that their attorney fees are paid via a percentage of your overall settlement or verdict. The percentage depends on various factors, but it is generally determined and agreed upon by both parties prior to the attorney being hired. In other words, you do not pay anything upfront or out-of-pocket when you hire a personal injury lawyer, and you only owe attorney fees if/when you recover compensation.
Q:Is my injury severe enough to file a Claim?
A:You should contact a lawyer if you are not sure. There are different factors that would indicate if your injury was severe enough to file a claim. Scenarios such as missing prolonged time from work, wage loss, the need for surgery, time spent in hospital, or an unfortunate permanent disability would be factors the lawyer would review in order to determine the severity.
Q:What is the statute of limitations on personal injury cases in Indiana?
A:The statute of limitations, or deadline for filing a lawsuit, on most personal injury cases in Indiana is two years from the date of injury. If you fail to file a lawsuit within two years (with some exceptions), you will almost certainly lose your right to sue the liable party for damages.
Q:Will my personal injury case go to trial?
A:Only 5% of all personal injury cases ever proceed to trial. The vast majority of personal injury cases are resolved outside of the courtroom, either through a settlement or mediation. Our Indianapolis personal injury attorneys always work for the best interests of our clients. Usually that means securing a favorable settlement, however, there are cases where we will advise our clients to go to trial - if we are confident that a more favorable verdict can be obtained.