Indianapolis Surgical Error Attorneys
Surgery Mistakes in Indiana
Surgical errors are some of the most common—and most serious—forms of medical malpractice. Such errors can result in severe bodily injury, leading to permanent disability, life-altering infections, and even death.
If you or someone you love was negatively affected due to a surgical error, turn to the Indianapolis surgical error attorneys at Hovde Dassow + Deets. Since 1967, our firm has represented victims of medical negligence throughout the state of Indiana, providing highly personalized and aggressive client advocacy with an emphasis on results. We make it our mission to maximize each individual client’s recovery, an approach that has helped us recover more than $300 million in settlements and verdicts.
How Common Are Surgical Errors?
Surgical errors are relatively common in the United States. According to WebMD, there are more than 4,000 preventable surgical errors every year nationwide. However, this number only reflects reported surgical errors; the actual rate of such events is likely to be much higher.
Often, surgical errors are not discovered for days, weeks, or even months after a procedure. In some cases, they may never be discovered. It can be difficult to tell whether the symptoms and complications you are experiencing are the result of a surgeon’s negligence, but our team at Hovde Dassow + Deets can thoroughly investigate your situation to determine if you have a case.
Examples of Surgical Errors
Generally speaking, a surgical error is any mistake or act of negligence made by a medical provider before, during, or immediately after a surgical procedure.
Some common examples of surgical errors include:
- Failing to obtain the patient’s informed consent
- Failing to obtain the patient’s medical history before surgery
- Administering too much or too little anesthesia
- Performing an incision at the wrong site
- Operating on the wrong patient or part of the body
- Injuring an organ, nerve, or another part of the body during surgery
- Leaving behind instruments, sponges, and other foreign objects in the body
- Failing to properly prevent or treat infections and other complications
- Failing to properly monitor the patient during surgery
- Failing to recognize/address signs of patient distress
- Unnecessary surgery
- Poor follow-up/post-operative care
- Early discharge following a surgical procedure
Surgical errors can have serious implications. Many victims suffer life-altering injuries or medical complications as a result of surgical errors and many die. Those who survive will often require emergency medical attention to address the effects of the initial error.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Surgical Errors?
Many surgical errors, such as objects being left behind in a patient following a procedure, are referred to as “never events.” This is because they should never happen. Yet they can and frequently do.
Why do surgical errors happen? Some of the most common reasons include:
- Inexperienced or incompetent surgeons and support staff
- Improper training
- Alcohol and/or drug use
- Poor communication/lack of communication
- Insufficient staffing
- Medication errors, including anesthesia errors
- Defective medical equipment, instruments, and devices
- Failure to provide patients with adequate instructions/information
It is important to identify the cause of a surgical error, as this provides supporting evidence in your medical malpractice case. At Hovde Dassow + Deets, our Indianapolis surgical error attorneys work with medical experts and other specialists to investigate claims, provide expert testimony, and build the strongest possible cases on behalf of our clients.
Who Is Liable for a Surgical Error?
Often, the individual person who committed the error is legally responsible for the victim’s damages. However, in some cases, hospitals and other medical institutions could be liable. If you were injured due to a surgical error in a hospital or similar healthcare facility, and the person who caused the injury was an employee, you could have a claim against the facility.
To determine who is liable for a surgical error, our team examines the following and more:
- How the surgical error occurred
- Whether any specific party was negligent
- What type of error occurred
- Whether the at-fault party was an employee of the hospital/medical facility
- Whether the medical facility acted negligently in hiring or employing the at-fault party
We have extensive experience investigating claims and know how to present clear, evidence-based claims to insurance adjusters, judges, and juries. Together, our Indianapolis surgical error attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience, including extensive trial experience. We are prepared to aggressively represent you and your rights.
Schedule a Complimentary Consultation Today
If you suspect that a surgical error was the cause of your injuries or your loved one’s death, reach out to Hovde Dassow + Deets right away. We understand that you are navigating one of the most challenging times in your life, which is why our team offers highly personalized and compassionate legal support. We utilize a hands-on approach; as a client, you will receive direct access to your attorney, and one of our partners will be personally involved in your case from start to finish.
There are no legal fees for you unless/until we win your case. If we do not recover a settlement or verdict on your behalf, you do not pay.
Words can not express how exceptional Rick Hovde and Kelly Faulk are in the Field of Medical Malpractice- Bob D
You can tell we're just not a client but a family that they care about.- Steve H.
The best thing about working with Hovde Dassow + Deets was Nick's professionalism & knowledge.- Sarah S.
Our family very much appreciates the services we received from Nick Deets & his staff.- Teresa S.
Very professional, honest, upfront all throughout the case.- John H.